Roller Coaster of Feeling That Key Made...

Key...

They will never fail me. Another series (Charlotte) just finished and they announced another adaptation one of their visual novels, Rewrite. What rides will Key make now? I think it will be another roller coaster of feeling.

Key is famous in anime industry for its waterworks and for me it still not losing its charm. The latest series, Charlotte, left me with tears flowing. How could they do that to me?? I have watched three Key series : Clannad (include the After Story), Angel Beats!, and Charlotte. And all these series left me crying. Why Key anime make me cry? It's because Key make us a special roller coaster for our feeling that I will break down just for you!

Before I started, you may want to read an article in Anime News Network about Why Clannad Made You Cry (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-09-25/why-clannad-made-you-cry/.93370).

Let's get this started! And there will be some major spoilers. So, spoiler alert!

1. Starts with the Protagonist!
Key always starts everything with the protagonist trouble or background (or in Angel Beats! case is Otonashi could not remember how he dead). And as always, the most common anime cliche ever, the protagonist always sitting next to the window. Here some pics of the protagonist seat next to the window.
Nao Tomori (Charlotte) Next to Window

Kanade Tachibana (Angel Beats!) Next to Window

Tomoya Okazaki (Clannad) Next to Window
What? Do yo think I am finished? Well, I am not because there's still one more left.

See, Even There's Two of The Protagonist Sitting Next to Window
Okay, that's enough, back to the topic...
Key always make the main protagonist backstory an awful one. Take an example. Let's pick from Angel Beats! (it's easiest because every character in this series have a tragic back story). The main character, Yuzuru Otonashi, have a very tragic life back when he still in the real world. He got a train accident when he was going to where the university exam will be held. He was going to be a doctor in honor of his sister. Even watchmojo.com made this one of the saddest death in anime (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwLVDa8vKE).

2. Then There's a Funny Part
Key always made a perfect jokes to be laugh at and usually its about how someone got beaten up. In Angel Beats! we got Hideki Hinata who always got beaten up. Then in Clannad there's Youhei Sunohara. And in Charlotte we got Jojiro Takajo for his fanboy attitude.
Ouch... That's Hurt...
My head...
That never ending head trauma...
In an intense drama, Key still tried their best to add up humor and did it very good. It's light and could be accepted to everybody. And I still don't know why Takajo still alive from multiple injuries and fractures... Anime cliche at its most.

3. Then There's The Sad Part
After being jumpy and alive, Key always ready for a steep emotion slope and play with it all along. From a seems-like-never-ending happiness to drastic and depressing sadness. Like how happy Yuu Otosaka's life with his sister and it must end so fast with his sister's death. Even bring th character fell deeper into darkness (yeah, drugs guys).
Uhhh...
Or the moment when Okazaki expecting a baby and dreamed to raised the baby with his wife, Nagisa, in a happy life. The dream crushed to dust as Nagisa was die of exhausted from trying to gave birth Ushio.
Tries to hold my tears...
Key always tries to make the emotion up and down, and they never fails me. Every Key anime I have watched always made me cry...

4. "Hey, You Cried, Right? How About Something Funny? Then Back to Depressing Again."
Yes. After a depressed state, Key always add up something funny to make your emotion back up. But, wait...

IT'S A TRAP!!

Key will definitely make you drop your emotion harshly again. And usually harder then ever. Just be ready for the ride of Key animes.

5. Tearjerking Happy Ending
And after a freaking roller coaster ride of feeling, Key always ends it with a tearful happy ending. I never felt this happy until I cries. Even sometimes its questionably happy (like how Angel Beats! ends), every Key animes manages to made me burst in happy tears.

Now here's a challenge for all of you. Try to watch whole Clannad series and try to hold your tears back in the ending of Clannad ~After Story~. I bet you could not. And please... Just cry... Here's Papa's arms for you to cry.
That feeling... Uuuuugh...
Overall, from all of Key's anime I have watched, I love the ending of Charlotte the most. I know people will throw me flames and everything because I said that. But check out my review for Charlotte to know why I love Charlotte.

Last, if you want to marathon whole Key anime series, you should be ready for tissues because who knows what will coming...

Comments