I Just Realize I Had Major Changes in My Music Taste

Well, it's been a very long time, isn't it?

While many people said that I'm no busy woman, turns out it was all wrong. With stuffs like studying, doing some projects, managing my time, and doing some freelance jobs, I have no time to write. But, it's a week break before my internship so I decided to write something that I just realized in these past few days.

I had major changes in music taste. How? Well, here's a story about them.


Elementary School Years

2006 was the year when every girls in my school squealed hysterically for High School Musical and bought merchandise like bags, pencil cases, etc. Me? Well, I was more enthusiast with My Chemical Romance's new album, The Black Parade, and started to banging my head every time their songs played in the radio. The one who brought me to that hole was my brother who came home with phone full of My Chemical Romance, Muse, Fall Out Boy, and Panic! at The Disco musics he got from Bluetooth transfer in his school (it was cool, you know).

I copied it to my phone and told all of my friends about them. I was glad because I discovered that few of my friends loved them too. They even gave me the older albums of MCR (with Bluetooth transfer of course) after school and shared some love for Alternative Rock while saying that High School Musical songs was my biggest guilty pleasure at that time (I mean all time until now)


The best song I listened on those years, of course, My Chemical Romace's Welcome to The Black Parade followed by Fall Out Boy's The Take Over The Break Over and Panic! at The Disco's I Write Sins Not Tragedies.

Middle School Years

With the end of Friendster era, it was the beginning of Facebook era. It was like every pop band and singer came to Indonesia in these years. Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, and Justin Bieber in one same month! While there's no regulation of bringing phone to school at first, we crazily trying to discover what music we will enjoy for next three years. And then, our school have a regulation not to bring any phone that has a camera. Don't worry, because we started to use something called notebooks or laptops. Yay for technology.

I figured that my taste of music in Middle School was rather mainstream. I listened to radio every morning and counted how many times Lady Gaga's Telephone had been played on that day in one station. Well, maybe a friend of mine started to tell me about one obscure band and I decided to check it out. Still, Middle School years was when I loved to listen pop songs from Radio and shared my love for pop songs with my friends. Oh, yeah. My Dad grew a genuine love for Bruno Mars' song in these days, too. And I started to grew a love for Endah n Rhesa in the end of my Middle School years.

The best song I listened on those years was Simple Plan feat. Natasha Bedingfield with Jet Lag followed by Maroon 5's Misery and Train's Hey Soul Sister.

High School Years

We finally got a reasonable speed of internet. After years of painful buffers in 144px of YouTube, we finally could enjoy no buffering 360px YouTube. Yay for technology (again). YouTuber started to cover songs with a great quality and direction. In these years, I took the role of a trendsetter with giving my friends lists of some YouTuber with great cover songs and original songs. And Imagine Dragons.

I discovered Imagine Dragons  in my YouTube recommended list. I remembered it was It's Time. But I fell in love with them with Radioactive. Then I started to spread my love for Imagine Dragons in my class and got a bunch of people who loved them. And Imagine Dragons introduced me with Pentatonix and Lindsey Stirling. Youtubers who did a cover of their song Radioactive that got a win in the first ever YouTube music awards. Again, I spread my love for PTX and Lindsey Stirling even got some people attached to them until now.

The best song I listened on those years was, of course, Imagine Dragons' Radioactive followed by Lindsey Stirling's Shatter Me (in the end of my high school years) and Pentatonix's Grammy winning Daft Punk arrangement.

College Years

And in these years, I realized I have grown my love for Anime and Manga exponentially. Entered 8eh Radio ITB in a mean to enlarge my circle, I got more and more deeper into the hole of J-Tracks and Asian Music after I took the role of announcer in Asian Attack for two semesters in a row. At first, I might only loved Anime Musics but discovered the wonders of J-Track thanks to an OTT service called Spotify and an easier access to Japanese video streaming site, Nico Nico Douga. Yay for technology (for the third time)!

For me, the college years is the most unknowingly huge change and shift in my music taste. Nowadays I feel listening to J-Tracks is better than listening to western pop songs that played in radio almost 10 times a day with same patterns of song for most of the songs. J-Tracks are winning in my playlist because of its unique compositions. And of course, I still brought a bit of love for Alternative Rocks to these years resulting my love for many of Japanese Alternative Rock bands like Hello, Sleepwalkers, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, and [Alexandros].


The best song I listened on these years until now was [Alexandros]'s Feel Like followed by THE ORAL CIGARETTES' 5150 and WEAVER - Kuchidzuke Diamond.

So, how's your music changing for your time?

Comments