Preliminary Review - Hanebado! : First Impression and Story Assumption

When I was searching and browsing for anime that I would watch in this Summer 2018 season, I stumbled upon a very great trailer of a certain anime called Hanebado! Only in a few seconds, I decided to pick this anime as soon as it came out and I was feeling so much proud of myself because I landed my eyes on the right choice. From the promotional video only, the animation has been very exceptional and from the first episode until the third ones, the animation is still on spot and constant. This gave me a signal that this anime will have a very great animation from the start to the very end. And not just that, the characters and stories are already on spot and very interesting to follow.

Hanebado! is an adaptation of a manga with the same name created by Kousuke Hamada. The story itself revolved around a girl named Ayano Hanesaki as she grew to be an aspiring badminton player only for something happened and made her quit badminton. 

After I watched the first episode, I decided to take a quick peek on the manga for some comparison. I saw that the manga and the anime have a major tone difference about how they handled the characters and because of that, I decided to shove the manga away and tried to watch the anime only. The anime has every characters on the edge from very beginning and I love how that rolls better than how the manga rolls.

These first three episodes have made me love our two major characters : Nagisa Aragaki and Ayano Hanesaki. First let me tell you about my best girl for the season, Nagisa, before we jumped to Ayano.

Nagisa Aragaki and the coach
Nagisa Aragaki is a third year student who was in a slump at the very beginning of the anime. She is gifted with her tallness and her strength. From her childhood, she already played badminton and always won. People around her tends to see that she could win because she is tall and powerful. But she did not want people to see her like that. She wanted people to acknowledge her hard work and after losing from Ayano (who was still a middle school student), she started to become slumped as she knew her hard work was not enough to beat Ayano. She started to lose her way and become destructive as she made her teammates quit because of her temper. Nagisa is a major tomboy character. Tomboys usually prone to insecurity because of her overall looks (including attitude) and sometimes overwhelming power. This anime played their card right as they managed to drive Nagisa's insecurity to the surface perfectly and resolved them gloriously. In this case, Nagisa needed someone who acknowledged her by her hard work, not by her "gift" and that role was filled by the new coach, Kentarou Tachibana, as he already tasted what it is like being in her place. After what happened, Nagisa thought Ayano as a rival and I think that one day she will learn that to win against Ayano, she must first be able to be a great teammate for her and a great double pair with her.

Ayano Hanesaki
In other side, Ayano Hanesaki is a first year student who quits badminton after losing her way and her drive to play badminton. This is majorly caused by how her mother, a ten times winner of national championship, left her after she lost against Kaoruko Serigaya. At that time, Ayano was very sick as Kaoruko forcefully gave her cold the day before their match started. From there, she played and tried to win just because she wished her mother to come back and see her again. Because she had won but she still never met her mother, she gave up and quit badminton. At this time, I know that someone must came to her and reminded her how badminton is fun as deep in Ayano's heart, she still loves badminton. This is where her best friend, Elena, came to the rescue. Elena wants to see Ayano plays badminton again and with that, she towed someone who loves badminton as bad as Ayano and that person is our captain, Nagisa. And I think that's the point where the friendship between Nagisa and Ayano started.

For why Ayano's mother left her, I have an assumption about that. I think that Ayano's mother felt guilty because Ayano had to play a match while she was having a bad cold and lost. As she felt irresponsible, she left Ayano to pursue her dream and to make Ayano rethink about playing badminton. In the first episode, it was clear that her mother came to the Ayano's game. I think that as she saw her daughter played badminton heartlessly, she left the scene because she felt wrong about left her all this time. From there, I really wished that this anime ended with Ayano and her mother reunited again after Ayano displayed a great double with Nagisa as Ayano and Nagisa's relationship will mark how Ayano has grown and how it made her back on her feet and her senses.

This anime is really a great start to the season and I really love how the writers braved themselves to stray away from the tone of the manga just to make this anime better. I am really looking forward to what Hanebado! stores for us on next week and so on.

Comments