Spring 2018 Anime Review : Hinamatsuri

This summer break, I decided to go back to my parent's home for a while. Seeing that Hinamatsuri just ended their season, I got back to my laptop in my room at my parent's home almost immediately and had a whole day just to marathon them. And you know what? The hardest part of watching this anime is trying as hard as I can to not be scolded by my parents as I was laughing so loud while watching this anime. This anime is very funny yet it is very touching at its own and this anime is called Hinamatsuri.

Hinamatsuri is a story about a girl that assumed as thirteen years old who suddenly appears in a Yakuza gang member's house and the Yakuza decided to take care of her as she threatened him by destroying his precious vase collection. From there only, I have known that this anime would be so much hilarious as they started to reference the Terminator franchise and did not bother to add that "DU-DUN-DUN-DU-DUN" thing from that 1984 movie. Such huge kudos for the writer who had delivered the punchline right onto the guts. If something was going so well in Hinamatsuri, there must be a huge punchline creeping behind them and it was waiting for the right time to show up.

Again, I would like to give so much kudos for Hinamatsuri's writer as they perfectly handled the character development. While still being infinitely hilarious, this anime did not shy away from developing each of the characters and having them into a touching character progression. For example is how Anzu grows as a character. She started from a rowdy petty criminal to an independent homeless and ended to be a daughter of a couple who runs a local Chinese restaurant. All of her doings were based on one thing : learns to survive in the harsh world. The character development were anchored to one major theme for each character and Hinamatsuri did the execution perfectly.

This anime is maybe the only anime that had made me laugh while crying at the same time. Hands down, I declare that Hinamatsuri is one of the best anime of 2018 Spring season. I would like to see the story of Hinamatsuri continues to the second season.

(This review was previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=282027)

Comments