Out of Season Review : SKET Dance

I don't know why but every time SKET Dance re-broadcast on TV, when I decided to watch it, they always broadcast the episode where Bossun really want to go to the toilet but always find hindrances along the way. I don't know if this is some omen or just a very bad coincidence. Nevertheless, SKET Dance became one of the best comedy anime I have ever watch and I still thought so until the day I write this. And I am going to tell you why.

SKET Dance follows a story of a club in Kaimei High School called Sket Dan (derived from Suketto or Help in Japanese) and their daily shenanigans. Since the club is about helping other people, the story revolves around the club's effort to solve other people's problem and because everyone seems like requesting crazy things to Sket Dan, they never have a regular day while solving the problems. SKET Dance's jokes are always spot on and they occasionally threw reference jokes which I love and not afraid to take it into the next level. Many of their jokes contain sarcasm towards the community and they managed to make it so funny and so relatable at the same time. Aside from jokes, I think they excel in their character development and story around the characters.

While mainly being a comedy show, they did not shy away to develop their characters in some and any way. Backstories of each characters explored carefully and made them very lovable despite their usual shenanigans. All of the main characters have a horrific past and it made the closeness between each of the main character very reasonable and not just because of they are in one club kind of thing. Bossun is the main reason why they are together. Not just the main cast, the other 
supporting casts may not be together if there's no Bossun in their school.

Oh, yeah. I really love the music by The Sketchbook that were used for their insert songs and even OP or ED. Not to mention that they did a cover of The Pillows' Funny Bunny and nailed it gracefully. It fit the scene completely as they managed to make it feels like it came out from a highly talented high school band. Then there's the opening and the ending songs. I'm not going to lie but all of SKET Dance's OP and ED are worth to listen. From the first one to the last one. If I'm going to pick, my pick for best OP would be The Sketchbook's Message and my pick for best ED would be The Pillows' Comic Sonic. 

Overall, SKET Dance is one of the best anime comedy out there and an anime that never left out from my favorite anime of all time. Even my brother, who is not an anime or manga lover like me, loves this anime so much and constantly talks about this anime with me. While it may not be possible, I really hope they continue this anime into the next season.

(This review was previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=287195)

Comments

Post a Comment