Out of Season Review : Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (Wotakoi)

Once again, I found another reason why A-1 Pictures should focus on making romance comedy anime rather than action anime. One reason is with this anime, A-1 Pictures crews proofed themselves that they excel in writing short plots or building a character within those plots. Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii or Wotakoi, if you don't like to stumble your tongue, is an anime about love story and friendship between otakus in a working environment. The premise itself is very enough to drag me into watching this anime as I am an otaku who will enter the working society very soon.

From many romance anime I have ever watched, this anime maybe the closest one to reality as I really know that many people resent otaku for some unknown reason and dating another otaku maybe the only solution if you do not want to stay single. Enter the life of a fujoshi who just switched to a new job after her true nature as a fujoshi discovered by her ex-boyfriend who resent her for being one. She eventually surrounded by other otakus in her new job starting from her childhood friend game otaku, to a cross-dressing cosplayer otaku, and to an Evangelion loving otaku. What makes the story special to me is how we could relate to the situations happen in this anime making this anime so much immersive on its own especially if you are a hardcore otaku.

I love how they depict each of their character as different kinds of otaku stereotypes. It gave us a more real perspective on otaku since nobody love everything. In the real anime community, we have different kinds of opinion and genre we love personally. Not rare that we fought each other just because our opinion over a genre or even over a best girl and I think that makes Wotakoi attached to me. This different spectrum in their characters makes us easier to relate and enjoy the plot even more.

Of course, I really love how they slip otaku references here and there. Somehow reference jokes are always making me laugh and Wotakoi really did their job by making a good punchline for each of that reference joke. For you who really loves to pick many easter eggs along your way, this anime is perfect for you.

Oh yeah! You definitely should check the opening song. I really love that opening song that being sung by sumika. It is catchy and really sticks to the romance comedy vibe that this anime offers to us.

Overall, this anime really made me attached as I could relate to many things happened in this anime and every instances in this anime felt real and could happen anywhere and anytime in the real time. I would really like to see more of this potential as I hope they roll another season for this anime.

(This review was previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=286122)

Comments