Summer 2018 Anime Review : Asobi Asobase

Every time I have done watching one episode of this anime, I should... No... I must wonder how many screws in my brain that had fallen off from its original place because this anime is so vulgar yet stupidly funny at the point I became more and more stupider every time I finished one episode of this anime. Asobi Asobase is becoming a very proof of one proverb that is "Don't judge book from its cover" as its innocent and beautiful art style really swayed me into its very dark yet vulgar jokes and I still like it for some reason.

While the jokes in this anime are very funny in my opinion, those jokes are certainly not for everyone or maybe those with fainted hearts. Not everyone could enjoy this anime's jokes as I do and I think this point as both flaw and advantages at the same time. Asobi Asobase did not shy away from throwing vulgar and dark jokes to make this innocent looking anime funny as hell. Watching Asobi Asobase really reminded me of watching a softer and far tamer version of Family Guy. So, I must be very careful to recommend this anime to anyone. Nevertheless, kudos for the writers who successfully took off my brains screws and made me laugh stupidly while being protested by my roommate as I was laughing so loud in the middle of the night.

Psst... I love that part when Hanako accidentally sets a cafe on fire. I laughed so hard at that scene that I almost threw up. Yup. That happened.

Yeah, the Past-timer club trio are very crazy and I love how they depict each of them with crazy traits those are very stupid if you think about it but have connection to each other. We got the smart looking one who actually very bad at studying English, we got the stupid looking one who acts stupidly but actually a genius, and we got a fake foreigner who does not speak any English and have spicy armpits. I don't know why but just describing those trio, I could feel I lost one of my screw in my brain. I think that is why this anime is very funny that just describing the character would make you want to laugh.

Now let's go to the very core of this anime's deceit and that is its beautifully drawn and colored art style. For some reason, my very innocent friend loves this anime's art style and she was pretty shocked when I told what this anime about. Sorry, but I must protect her innocence or she would be drown into the same state that is me. The art style looked very soft and beautifully painted and this made a huge out of character feeling for this whole anime and I know that is the purpose of the artist : make this anime looks as innocent as ever to conceal its true identity that is cruel, dirty, and vulgar. Their constant art style changing in their animation is really good and make a huge addition to what is already funny punch line. Kudos for the studio who works on this anime production.

Then let's talk about soundtrack especially the opening and ending which both are opposite from each other. The opening is very deceiving as it is very soft and fun just like a regular slice of life anime. Those who watch the opening only would think that this anime is a regular slice of life anime with three girls as its main character. But the ending is a heavy metal song that would blow off your mind and made you bang your head all over the course of the song. This two opening and ending are very supporting the theme of deceit in this anime. In the beginning you thought it was a happy regular slice of life but the truth is this anime is full of cruel, vulgar, and dirty jokes. Kudos for anyone who brought the idea to make the ending a heavy metal song.

Overall, I would like to thank everyone who work on this anime for deceiving me into watching this anime. I really enjoyed the ride, the references to other media, the stupidity, the laser butt, the spicy armpits, and other things that I have not mentioned. Congratulations for making a proof of a proverb "don't judge book from its cover". Well, done. Oops. I think I lost my brain's screw again.

(This review was previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=291006)

Comments

Post a Comment