Summer 2018 Anime Review : Persona 5 The Animation

I love Persona franchise so much as I have both of my main waifu and my main husbando in this franchise. And now I really don't know where should I point my disappointment to. Yes. In short, I am very much disappointed by how Persona 5 : The Animation turns out. Rushy execution, very bad animation, destroyed a story that is already awesome, and made itself a huge disappointment for the fan that is already there. The only thing that holding this anime is the great soundtrack. That's it! That's the only thing that made me stay and giving this anime a chance.

Maybe the worst disgrace is how they giving us a very beautiful promotional art in the very beginning only to continue with horrible and downright bad animation. The animation feels empty and lazy with so many in between frames are missing from its place. In the very end of this anime, I feel betrayed by the promises they gave us before they released the anime. Well, I know A-1 Pictures have a history of bad action sequences and very minimal animation which usually they will fix them in their Blu-Ray or DVD releases but I think that is not an excuse to make a good potential wasted.

About the story, I felt sad since the game of Persona 5 itself already has a very great story but at the end of the day they executed the story with an unsteady yet rushed pace. It really broke the story as whole because many key points and character relationship were threw away. And worse, they decided to cut-off the anime like it was nothing and just told us that there would be a continuation. WHAT? I know that the studio really wants to milk this franchise but I think it was not the wisest decision as it left the audience screaming that this anime is unfinished and downright bad.

The only thing that makes this anime outstanding is of course, their soundtrack. Still retaining the beautifully composed music from the game, they kept the soundtrack and added with other equally beautiful soundtracks. I always love the work of Shoji Meguro and that endings are worth to note.

Overall, I was almost this close to drop this anime but my generosity keeps me from dropping this one. Episode after episode, I was putting hope that they will fix this hell of a mess. But no. To the very end they did not fix it. So, I think it is better for you to watch the playthrough of the game instead of watching this anime if you are curious about Persona 5.

(This review was previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=290551)

Comments