Out of Season Review : Girls und Panzer

You know what? If there's a Senshado major in real life, I would definitely choose that since I love things that could pump my adrenaline while building a team that could be my best friends at the same time. For me, Girls und Panzer is one example that making something that is completely fictional like Senshado could be very interesting since we know very much that we could not do that in real life.

To be honest, I feel that the story and character building inside this anime is too shallow for my taste that even the most relationship development in this anime and that is familial relationship between Miho and her sister Maho resolved too fast and not exploring the background more than I expecting. Aside from the main team character development, we did not get many development from other team that I love to know about like that history geeks, Hippo team, or that former volleyball team that should be very explored since they lost their club, Duck team. And I still have that major issue of Ami Chouno being last match's referee. She is the instructor of Oarai for god sake and why Kuromorimine did not do any protest? While weak in the character development and story department, this anime excels in the world building as they made a completely fictional material arts that is Senshado. And not just making it out of nowhere, they made it very interesting to follow.

I always love any anime that twist things with strategies and logical thinking. With Senshado being a material arts involving tanks fighting each other, strategy will of course be a major aspect at the game. Oarai Senshado team are very weak in terms of fire power and amount so they must have smart tricks even just to stay alive at the game. I always love their tactics to overcome the enemy while always being outnumbered by them. Kudos for the writer as they managed to pull ideas about how to make Oarai wins with that condition while the tactics are still make sense and logical. While we know from the very beginning that Oarai will win, the possibility of losing is still there with the enemies have so many plans up their sleeves like the main characters and making every match very interesting and thrilling just want to know how Oarai overcome their disadvantages.

I always love to hear the booming sound of projectile being shot out from the tank. I think every boom they made is different depends on what tank or nozzle they use and it immerses the experience while watching this anime. Huge kudos for sound engineer as they have done a great job. The music is very militarized and I love it since every school have their own theme based on the culture the school bring. I especially love the Russian-esque school, Pravda, as the Russian vibe in their theme song is very strong and on point. Kudos for the music director.

Overall, Girls und Panzer brought us another cute girls doing cute things anime but managed to build the world very well while suffers a bit from shallow characters and story line. In the end, Girls und Panzer gave me a pretty good ride as they successfully pumped my adrenaline at every match they have. Next, I think I should watch Girls und Panzer der Film as I wish for a great improvement for this potential.

(This review is previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=288651)

Comments