Out of Season Review : Psycho-Pass 2

The first season of Psycho-Pass really did leave a huge impact on me but somehow while the second season is still good in my opinion, I can't help but feels this second season is just like a filler just to affirm Akane's character development in the first season. And because of that, I think this second season could not stand on its own without the first season in front of them making this second season is too dependent. While it's a bit disappointing, the second season is actually still fun and interesting to follow.

As stated in my first season review, I praised Psycho-Pass because of its character development while still maintaining the major character trait untouched. While I was wishing for Akane's further character development, what did I get is only an affirmation of Akane's character development in the first season. This is stated by how the whole case seems like a test for Akane's character even Akane herself stated that in a monologue early in first few episodes. There's not much difference of how Akane viewed the Sybil from the beginning to the end of the season and for me that's a bit disappointing as Akane's view of Sybil was a leftover from the first season. Still, I love how the writer kept Akane in character and maintaining her major character traits those are kindness and her sense of justice even she is a bit rough after what happened in the first season and that is the part I love about this second season.

While not much explored, I love how they throw the hints of Akane who is still attached with Kogami. For me this is very important for Akane's character as Kogami was the one who built Akane's character in the first season. They can't just throw that away and because they keep him in Akane's mind, I think it is good enough.

The story line of this second season is pretty good in my opinion with a major theme of judgement. While being interesting enough, I can't help but feels the story line it's a little bit like a copy of the first season with the main villain's feeling is almost close with what Makishima's feeling in the first season and questioning the Sybil's judgement. It is still interesting but deeply in my heart, I really do want a new innovation in the story department to make myself stop comparing the second season with the first season.

The animations and soundtracks are still very impressive in my opinion maintaining its reputation from the first season. The opening performed by Ling Toiste Sigure and the ending performed by EGOIST of this season are so much rocking and made the hype level up to the roof proofing that both of them are really fit for rocking the Psycho-Pass universe.

Overall, while it is still interesting, the second season is too much dependent to what happened in the first season and overshadowed by them at the same. It made me could not stop comparing the first and the second season. I don't know if that's good or not but I think it is better to have a dependent second season so they could catch anyone who start the series a bit late.

(This review is previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=289677)

Comments

Post a Comment