Out of Season Review : Psycho-Pass

The idea of a perfect society is always intrigues me because someone told me that something perfect does not last forever. Psycho-Pass is one anime that stays too long on my watch list just because I was too busy to watch it just because I know that I need to invest my time, my heart, my soul, and my brain to watch this as many praised this anime and its story line. Finally, I got the time to watch it and boom. My mind is blown. Psycho-Pass just make into a perfect example of how to bring a perfect society idea to a very good story and character development.

What I really like most from this anime is its character development especially for our main heroine, Akane Tsunemori. While her character is constantly grow and matured, they always managed to make her major character trait never leaves her and this trait is her sense of justice and kindness. Even so many tragedy have scarred her, she always believes that Sybil judgement (with that Crime Coefficient and Psycho-Pass stuff) is imperfect as it is just statement of numbers and hues and with that she always find a reason not to or to pull the trigger based on her own judgement or even to risk her own Crime Coefficient number to reach her goal. Her growth is shown from how Akane in the very beginning is oblivious to things while in the end she develops her detective sense thanks to one of her enforcers, Kogami.

Speaking of Kogami, his relationship with Akane is certainly never stated but for now, I can assume that they are care for each other either is love or not. Akane values Kogami as he is her inspiration for her to stay while Kogami values her because he could be a detective while she is his inspector. Either way, these two relationship's successfully made me cry in the end of episode 18 and I am very grateful for that.

The story itself is very solid in my opinion. From the very beginning, in the very first episode, the writer wanted us to questions Sybil's judgement and that's why we could somehow relate to the main villain and feel sympathy over him. Every time I could relate myself to the villain, I knew very well that the writer did a very good job and that is a huge kudos for the writer. And of course, while the stakes in the anime is certainly high, the pacing is undoubtedly perfect without any feeling of lag or rush. This is a very good thing as it is a perfect net for catching the audience's attention from the very beginning to the very end.

Ah, I always love that Dominator animation. While overall animations of this anime is good enough, that Dominator in action animation stood out from everything else as it is very beautiful and terrifying (if you count that exploding body) at the same time. The gore maybe not fit for everyone but I definitely love the gore as it fits the theme perfectly.

The soundtracks... I could not comment anything but praise. It is very matched with the setting, the emotion, the tense, everything. Even I must praise the sound effect especially when they deploy the Dominator. While the animation has already beautiful, the sound effect just made it more immersive and better. Talking about soundtracks, the endings by EGOIST are something I never skipped every episode just because those songs are beautiful and not just that, the songs are accompanied with equally beautiful animation sequences.

Overall, this anime is very worth of my praise as it has very good story, character building, soundtracks, and animation. With a perfect pace, this anime proofs that pace could be a very important aspect to catch audience's attention. Well, by the time I write this, I have not touched the second season yet so I will try and see how is the second season flow.

(This review is previously written in MAL : https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=289397)

Comments